Monday, November 28, 2011

If You Could Meet Any Historical Figure(s)...

If you could meet any historical figure(s), who would it be and why? This question is a fun icebreaker that will get people thinking. I would love to hear some responses!
My picks would be Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII. I have always found the Tudors to be truly fascinating. I loved The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory and the first two seasons of "The Tudors." Having read fictionalized versions and some historical books, I have always had so many questions for these three individuals. My main question for Catherine of Aragon would be about her marriage to Henry VIII's older brother Arthur. The grounds for Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII's divorce is that Katherine of Aragon's marriage to Arthur was consummated. Catherine said from the beginning that she had never had consummated her relationship. I would like to know what the truth was. Did Arthur tell her to lie? Catherine was a devout Catholic so it is possible that she was telling the truth, but on the other hand, by lying she would be able to stay in the country she called home since she was a girl.
Anne Boleyn is either portrayed as a good woman or an evil witch. There is really no in between. I would first like to know the truth about her personality. My belief is that she is something somewhere between the two. She lived in a time where men controlled women and I think she did the best she could do. There are many rumors that have swirled around her and I want to know if any of them are true. Did she really marry someone in secret that her parents had annulled? Did she really have an affair while she was married to Henry VIII?
Henry VIII is a figure larger than life. Because of his relationship Anne Boleyn, he changed the religion of England forever. Did he ever truly love any of his wife? Does he regret what he did? Was it worth it in the end?
These are questions I like to ponder from time to time. So, what historical figure(s) would you like to talk to and why? I would love to read some response.

No comments:

Post a Comment