Thursday, October 20, 2011

Technology

From the beginning of time, public historians have had to deal with ever changing technology.  Technology can be a good way to get new patrons to different public history events.  For instance, facebook and twitter is a great way for museums to get about information about special events.  Because of my facebook, I have learned that the Children's Museum of Indianapolis brought back the popular exhibit Barbie: The Fashion Experience. In a later blog, I will discuss that exhibit.  Had I not like the museum on facebook, I would not have learned the exhibit had come back.
Along with facebook, museums have started using the internet to get visitors thinking.  When I know I am visiting a museum, I like to see what kind of exhibits I can expect to see.  I also like to check hours and special events.  Once I'm at the museum, I will gather any kind of pamphlet I can to learn more about each exhibit.  While I'm there, I will look at each of the exhibits and will get online if I notice there is more information to be found.
These are just a few technologies that museums use.  There are many different types of technologies museums can use to keep relevant.  These technologies will continue to grow and museums will continue to grow with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment